Lovely cheesecake is quick and easy to make and it doesn’t require the oven. I was planning to write this years ago but each time I make cheesecake I judge quantities by eye and taste, making the ingredients list uncertain! Anyway, here we go…
To make a ~20cm diameter cheesecake, you will need:
- ~8 digestive biscuits
- About 70g of butter
- About 80g of demerara sugar / brown sugar
- 100-200g icing sugar
- 250g full-fat cream cheese (e.g. Philadel.phia)
- 120ml double cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon juice - quantity depends on how sharp your lemons are, maybe three lemon’s worth
What to do:
Crush the digestive biscuits in to crumbs (crush the biscuits in a bag by hand).
Melt the butter.
Stir the butter, digestive biscuit crumbs and demerara sugar together thoroughly.
Line your cheesecake dish with the butter / biscuit / sugar mix. Pat down using a glass tumbler to form the crunchy cheesecake base. Put in a cool place to help the base firm up while you make the “cheese”.
Fold the cream and vanilla extract in to the cream cheese.
Steadily add icing sugar and lemon juice to the cream / cream cheese mix to match your taste - remember you can add, but can’t take away, so add, stir well, taste and decide if you need more. Keep in mind the cheesecake base is sweet, so it’s usually best to keep the cheese less sweet or even quite lemony / sharp if you like.
- Pour the cheese mix in to the dish, on top of the biscuit crumb base. Spread the cheese around evenly. Be careful not to drag up the biscuit base in to the cheese mix when spreading!
Place in the refrigerator for a few hours to let it settle.
- Either eat directly or serve with fruit or fruit jam.
- If you like fruit jam on the top, it’s very easy to make your own jam / fruit sauce - just put chopped fruit and a little water in to a pan on a gentle heat, stir and later add sugar when the fruit has softened.